Friday, June 19, 2009

Facing the Music

We are carrying a cross tonight. Not just a little 5 foot cross but a large 8-9 foot cross. We are carrying it through the most popular part of town. We did this last Friday night as well. Some people were intrigued, some people were just plain mad. How could we dare to desecrate the cross in such a way as carrying it around. Some people just didn't get it. Christ is someone that is in the church. He doesn't penetrate into our daily lives besides the obligatory crossing of oneself when passing a temple. Christ is who you pray to when things aren't going well. Even then He may not answer you. The Orthodox are very devout people. The priests wear black robes all day, every day.

I love the liturgy of the church. I love the choral music that speak the words of scripture. They really communicate the ups and downs of the writer with their intertwining melodies and minor chords. I love the smell of incense permeating and cleansing every part of the sanctuary. I love the white albs and the robes. I love coming before the alter with a sense of awe and reverence bowing slightly in honor. I love going through the office of morning, noon, vesper, and compline prayer. My heart cries out the prayers of the people. But I also love when I am brought to my knees in humble adoration for all that Christ has done for me. I love when I see brothers and sisters in Christ clinging to one another as they sing praises to God.

We are all searching for something. The cross reminds us again what Christ did. Last week, an old man began to receive reconciliation and release the bitterness he had been holding against God because he saw the cross. He had started to yell that God wasn't real or cared because God had allowed his 37 yr old daughter die from cancer. We talked with him for awhile and by the end of the conversation he was crying.

Who knows what will happen tonight when we carry the cross but I hope that my life begins to be changed as well. Because....I really don't like doing this sort of stuff. For me, it can cause more division than resolution. I'm praying for resolution. I want this nation to see Christ as more than an icon to pray to when there are problems. I want them to know, really know the love that God has poured out. Who knows what will happen.


Almighty God, to you all hearts are opened, all our desires are known, and there are no secrets hidden from your eyes. Cleanse our thoughts that we only make in our hearts by the gift of your Holy Spirit. We pray these things in the name of your only Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment